Sample a myriad of local flavours prepared specially for you.
The village of Stukely-Sud, founded in 1855, is a municipality spanning Route 112 between Eastman and Waterloo in the shadows of Mount Orford. It was originally colonized and settled by New England Loyalists at the end of the 18th century. At the beginning of the 19th century, Francophones from overflowing parishes in the St. Lawrence valley and veterans of the War of 1812 cleared new farms. The municipality’s name reflects this dual origin. “Stukely” was chosen to commemorate a village in Huntingdonshire in the centre of England. Three churches date from that era: St. Matthew's Anglican Church (1856), the United Church (1880), which has become a Catholic church, and the Adventist Church (1883). The latter is the oldest Adventist church in Eastern Canada while St. Matthew’s is now a cultural and community centre. An 11-km walking train was established in 2010 and starts next to the town hall, with new family rest areas added in autumn 2012. The history of the village is linked to Stagecoach Road, which offers a wonderful view to those who drive through the area or cycle past on the Route Verte. South Stukely residents are sometimes called “Diligents” (the French word for stagecoach) – a throwback to that bygone era. Today, the municipality is working to improve its residents’ quality of life and number of services, ensuring a rural community that is welcoming and attractive to newcomers.