Sample a myriad of local flavours prepared specially for you.
The first Beauce colonists arrived in 1883, establishing at Saint-Ludger, and the first general meeting of the town council of Risborough, part of Marlow, was held on June 4, 1900. The first town council meeting for Southeast Gayhurst and part of Saint-Ludger Village was held on December 12, 1904. Saint-Ludger separated from Gayhurst in 1921. Its name was chosen to evoke memories of Brother François-Amable-Ludger, who drowned in 1876, and Bishop Ludger Têtu, a friend of the area’s first missionary. The inside of the church, built in 1901 and enlarged in 1911, has its own special atmosphere. The neo-Gothic church calls attention to some magnificent gilt-work and decorative sculptures, as well as its transepts – the transverse galleries that separate the choir from the nave, forming the arms of a cross. The past is commemorated through the original sawmill on Du Moulin Road, the former general store that now houses an agricultural co-op, and three roadside crosses scattered along the back roads. Agriculture, the maple industry and forestry ensure a strong local economy.